Sunday, September 9, 2007

Begin again





It's been a while. About 8 years actually. Some of you may remember an online writing experiment I did during the Summer of 1999 that pre-dated what is now known as "blogs". Well I think it's time to resurrect this now that technology has really made it quite easy (good thing for me as my technological learning curved topped out just about then).

I think this will be a good way of keeping folks updated with what I've been up to. Really, it's just a way to keep up with friends and to fend off more attempts to join Facebook, hah! Being more directive than random ADD-like this time around, I hope to also put up images of San Francisco and other places visited. Yes, random musing and humor can still be found here but I promise no more fictitious coups over my publishing jurisdictions.

Knowing that others will be reading tends to give extra incentive and impetus to clarity of presentation and utility of content. So in this regard I hope this blog will serve as such a conduit. But it's a delicate balance between having something to say versus structuring and embellishing events and making choices just to formulate a better story. We're all older and wiser now. And as before, I will always respect everyone's privacy.

Why now? Not sure really. Just turned 30 in August and rewarded myself by waking up at 5:30 in the morning for a bootcamp that forces us to do dozens of pushups after running a few miles. I've been in SF for 6 months now after having moved up from Palo Alto and finally feel acclimated enough with the commute and city to really take advantage of it. But it's more than that. I'm feeling more free now, more able to be open and honest about myself and going after the things I really want without fear of failure. I've stopped being a workaholic yet still am finding myself just as productive. I've been surprised by how open people are if you yourself come from a place of openness. Maybe I feel I'm finally ready to have some fun. Maybe a diversity of interests and hobbies are about to bloom anew. Maybe the perpetual bachelor will finally not push perfectly great women away and be able to find someone who really captivates him. Maybe I'll realize I've been in academia long enough and a biotech job is really where I can both best achieve my lifelong goal of making therapies to help people and take the next step to a fulfilling career.

I'm not sure but something definitely feels different. And this time I won't fight fate.

Let's see what happens.

1 comment:

dontknowjack said...

Okay, testing comments out